Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black ArtPaperback Engels 2007 9780735605350
Your practical guide to learning best practice software estimation skills for the real world
Often referred to as the 'black art' because of its complexity and uncertainty, software estimation is not as difficult or puzzling as people think. In fact, generating accurate estimates is straightforward-once you understand the art of creating them.
In his highly anticipated book, acclaimed author Steve McConnell unravels the mystery to successful software estimation-distilling academic information and real-world experience into a practical guide for working software professionals. Instead of arcane treatises and rigid modeling techniques, this guide highlights a proven set of procedures, understandable formulas, and heuristics that individuals and development teams can apply to their projects to help achieve estimation proficiency.
Discover how to:
- Estimate schedule and cost-or estimate the functionality that can be delivered within a given time frame
- Avoid common software estimation mistakes
- Learn estimation techniques for you, your team, and your organization
- Estimate specific project activities-including development, management, and defect correction
- Apply estimation approaches to any type of project-small or large, agile or traditional
- Navigate the shark-infested political waters that surround project estimates
When many corporate software projects are failing, McConnell shows you what works for successful software estimation.
List of equations
List of figures
Part 1: Critical estimation concepts
1. What is an "Estimate"?
2. How good an estimator are you?
3. Value of accurate estimates
4. Where does estimation error come from?
5. Estimate influences
Part 2: Fundamental estimation techniques
6. Introduction to estimation techniques
7. Count, compute, judge
8. Calibration and historical data
9. Individual expert judgment
10. Decomposition an recomposition
11. Estimation by analogy
12. Proxy-based estimates
13. Expert judgement in groups
14. Software estimation tools
15. Use of multiple approaches
16. Flow of software estimates on a well-Estimated project
17. Standardized estimation procedures
Part 3: specific Estimation challenges
18. Special issues in estimating size
19. Special issues in estimating effort
20. Special issues in estimating schedule
21. Estimating planning parameters
22. Estimate presentation styles
23. Politics, negotiation, and problem solving
A: Estimation sanity check
B: Answers to chapter 2 Quiz "how good and estimator are you?"
C: Software Estimation tips
Managementboek Top 100
- Algemeen management
- Coaching en trainen
- Communicatie en media
- Financieel management
- Inkoop en logistiek
- Internet en social media
- IT-management / ICT
- Mens en maatschappij
- Personal finance
- Persoonlijke effectiviteit
- Reclame en verkoop
- Strategisch management
- Werk en loopbaan